Echinoteuthis danaeMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
Joubin (1933) collected 18 young squid of this species but based his description on three specimens, 61 (arm tip to tail), 45 and 17 mm (tentacle tip to tail). All specimens, in spite of the rather large size, these are paralarvae that lack most subadult characteristics.
An Echinoteuthis with ...
- large tubercules in advanced paralarvae.
- a fin that is longer than wide.
- Arm suckers without teeth.
- Stalk about 2 mm in length and slender.
- Club enlarged in diameter, ca. 7 mm long.
- Club tip slender, ca. 3 mm long, with sucker buds.
- Funnel pocket unknown.
- Funnel pocket unknown.
- Funnel locking-apparatus
- Funnel locking-apparatus with a very large tragus and a distinct antitragus.
- Mantle and Skin
- Mantle and other skin, except fins, covered with small, cartilagenous tubercules.
- Tubercules absent from a 17 mm total length specimen.
- Fins longer than broad.
- Long tail present in small paralarvae but nearly absent in large paralarvae.
- Photophores absent.
- Few chromatophores present.
Total length 61 mm to tip of arm IV 45 mm to tip of tentacle Mantle length (without fins) 25 mm Mantle length (with fins)* 46 mm Head width 17 mm Head length 7 mm Fin length 25 mm 11 mm* Fin width 17 mm 7 mm Arm I, length 3 mm Arm II, length 5 mm Arm III, length 4 mm Arm IV, length 14 mm Tail < 1 mm* 9 mm Tentacle length -- 45 mm
This description is taken from Joubin (1933). E. danae is known only from paralarvae and may represent the young stage of a known species, perhaps E. atlantica.
Type locality: North Atlantic; 34°40'N, 33°16'W, SE of the Azores; 16°03'N, 62°29'W near the Antilles; 30°51'N, 21°00'W east of the Canary Islands.
Salcedo-Vargas (1997) described four specimens (15-30 mm ML) from off Somalia, western Indian Ocean.
Joubin, L. 1933. Notes préliminaires sur les Céphalopodes des croisières du Dana (1921-1922). 4e Partie. Annales de l'Institut Océanographique, new series, 13: 1-49.
Salcedo-Vargas, M. A. 1997. Cephalopods from the Netherlands Indian Ocean Programme (NIOP) - II. Mastigoteuthid lineage and related forms. Beaufortia, 47: 91-108.
Page copyright © 2018 and
Page: Tree of Life Echinoteuthis danae Authored by . Michael Vecchione and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 17 July 2004
- Content changed 06 December 2014
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Richard E. Young. 2014. Echinoteuthis danae http://tolweb.org/Echinoteuthis_danae/19511/2014.12.06 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 06 December 2014 (under construction).