Figure. Oral view of the arm crown
of H. nordopacifica. Note the small size
of the webs (small arrows). Drawing
modified from Kubodera and Okutani (1911).
H. nordopacifica is based on a single specimen, a mature female, taken in a bottom trawl at 1000m off northeastern Honshu, Japan. This is a typical Heteroteuthis species.
H. nordopacifica differs from females of typical Heteroteuthis species (i.e., H. dispar, H. dagamensis and H. hawaiiensis) in just a few features:
- Presence of 2 series of suckers rather than 3-4 series of small suckers at the tips of arms IV. Arms I with 14-15 suckers; arms II with 18-20 suckers; arms III "similar to arms II in number of suckers;" arms IV with 18-20 suckers.
- Very low webs between arms I, I and II, II and III.
- Apparent absence of the tentacle organ (see "Characteristics" on Heteroteuthinae page).
- Possible differences in the shape of the large visceral photophore.
Confirmation of these characters on additional specimens in needed as characters 2 and 4 could be affected by muscular contraction and the tentacle organ could be overlooked as its absence was not stated. Character 1, however, is diagnostic for this species.
Kubodera, T. and T. Okutani. 2011. New additions of luminous bobtail squids to the Japanese cephalopod fauna (Sepiolida: Sepiolidae: Heteroteuthinae). Venus, 69 (3-4): 145-161.
Page copyright © 2017
Page: Tree of Life Heteoteuthis nordopacifica The TEXT of this page is licensed under the . Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 21 January 2014
- Content changed 21 January 2014
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 2014. Heteoteuthis nordopacifica http://tolweb.org/Heteoteuthis_nordopacifica/149600/2014.01.21 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 21 January 2014 (under construction).