Kondakovia longimana is a large squid (adults to 740 mm ML) of the Southern Ocean (Kubodera et al. 1998). The three individuals of the type series were taken from the surface and at a depth of 50 m. All three had been feeding heavily on euphausiids (i.e. Euphausia superba). Clarke (1980) examined the stomachs of 7 squid and found remains of fish, crustacea, squid and sponges.
An species of Kondakovia ...
- with 28-33 hooks on the manus.
- with longidtudinal dermal ridges on the surface of the mantle.
- with rostrum of gladius 5-10% ML.
- Tentacular club with about 33 hooks and 33 small, marginal suckers.
- Mantle soft and fleshy.
- Mantle skin with longitudinal ridges in large specimens (Clarke, 1980). The photographs below compare the skin of K. longimana (left, middle) with the skin of Onykia robsoni (right).
- Gladius not visible beneath skin in dorsal midline.
- Gladius thin and fragile with 3 pairs of narrow longitudinal ribs: one borders rhachis, one at marginal rim and one inbetween the other two.
- Gladius rostrum 5-8% of ML (Kubodera et al., 1998); 2-5% of ML (Clarke, 1980).
- Gladius rostrum tricornate dorsally in cross-section along conus field; convex rib present over full length of flat dorsal surface.
Except where indicated, this description is taken from Filippova (1972). Squids of the type series had a purple-brown color.
Page copyright © 2019
Page: Tree of Life Kondakovia longimana. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 16 November 2010
- Content changed 16 November 2010
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 2010. Kondakovia longimana. Version 16 November 2010 (under construction). http://tolweb.org/Kondakovia_longimana/139589/2010.11.16 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/