Lolliguncula (Lolliguncula) brevis
Thumbstall squidMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
- Modified portion of hectocotylized (left ventral) arm occupies distal third of arm and extends to arm tip; about 24 suckers of dorsal row modified, the proximal 1 to 3 being greatly reduced in diameter, the remaining pedicels distally are greatly enlarged into long, slightly flattened papillae that gradually diminish in size distally; no large, puffy, glandular enlargement of basal area of arm between sucker series.
- Mantle stout, bluntly rounded posteriorly, widest in mid-portion.
- Fins short (50 - 55 % ML), broad, wider than long (fin width 75% ML), very rounded.
Color: dark reddish brown to brownish yellow with chromatophores over nearly entire animal; chromatophores most dense on ventral surface of mantle and head, except in very large specimens, in which the opposite occurs.
Western Atlantic from New Jersey and Delaware Bay, southward to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean mainland and coast of northeastern South America (about 40 N to 23 S); excluded from the Bahamas and Caribbean Islands except Cuba and Curaçao.
- Vernacular Names: En: Thumbstall squid, Fr: Calmar doigtier commun, Sp: Calamar dedal, Local species names: Bay squid, brief squid.
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Michael Vecchione at
Page copyright © 2010
Page: Tree of Life Lolliguncula (Lolliguncula) brevis Authored by . Thumbstall squid.Michael Vecchione and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 02 September 2010
- Content changed 02 September 2010
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Richard E. Young. 2010. Lolliguncula (Lolliguncula) brevis http://tolweb.org/Lolliguncula_%28Lolliguncula%29_brevis/19893/2010.09.02 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Thumbstall squid. Version 02 September 2010 (under construction).