Onychoteuthis prolataK.S.R. Bolstad
Onychoteuthis prolata was recently disambiguated from the O. banksii complex. Young and Harman (1987) described the paralarva (species B) from Hawaiian waters; later ontogenetic stages were formally described by Bolstad, Vecchione & Young in Bolstad (2008). The most distinctive feature of this species is the tentacle club, which is extremely long for an Onychoteuthis (35-40% ML).
An Onychoteuthis species...
- with tentacle club length 35-40% ML.
- without spikes on the distal ventral hooks.
- with chromatophores along the ventral ridge on the oral surface of the tentacle stalk.
- with chromatophores on all portions of the mantle ventrally (no 'bald spot').
- without fleshy knobs on the distal margin of the arm suckers.
- Two circular intestinal photophores present. Anterior photophore 50-75% diameter of posterior photophore.
- Ocular photophore a long whitish patch on ventral surface of each eyeball.
- Measurements of holotype
- Mantle length - 135 mm
- Arm lengths - 53-71 mm
- Fin length - 81 mm
- Fin width - 89 mm
- Club length - 54 mm (left)
- Club hook numbers - 23
- Largest hooks - Hooks V5 and V6
- Tentacle club
- Length ~36% ML, with 20–23 long, robust, strongly recurved hooks.
- Distal-most ventral hook bases not produced into spike.
- Chromatophores present across oral face of tentacle stalk proximal to carpus and along oro-ventral tentacle stalk ridge (arrows in second image below).
Bolstad, K.S. 2008. Two new species and a review of the squid genus Onychoteuthis Lichtenstein, 1818 (Oegopsida: Onychoteuthidae) from the Pacific Ocean. Bulletin of Marine Science, 83: 481–529.
Young, R.E.; Harman, R.F. 1987. Descriptions of the larvae of three species of the Onychoteuthis banksii complex from Hawaiian waters. Veliger 29(3):313–321.
Auckland University of Technology
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to K.S.R. Bolstad at
Page copyright © 2019 K.S.R. Bolstad
Page: Tree of Life Onychoteuthis prolata Authored by . K.S.R. Bolstad. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 23 December 2010
- Content changed 11 October 2015
Citing this page:
Bolstad, K.S.R. 2015. Onychoteuthis prolata http://tolweb.org/Onychoteuthis_prolata/108201/2015.10.11 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 11 October 2015 (under construction).