- Eyeball- Two series: lateral series (7 organs) = 1+5+1; medial series (seven organs) = 1+5+1.
- Viscera: two large organs.
- Club sucker stalks with epithelial pigmentation and strongly pleated.
- Buccal membrane unpigmented.
- Largest arm III suckers with 8-14 broad, rounded teeth, fused laterally; more distal suckers with thin blunt teeth; more proximal suckers with broader, rounded teeth.
- Largest suckers globular.
- Tentacular clubs
- Suckers with 5-7 pointed teeth over distal half of ring; no enlarged central tooth.
- Sucker stalks- two distinct parts; stalks of lateral and medial suckers about equal in length.
- Protective membranes
- Membranes in three distinctive sets with intermediate set broadest.
- Proximal set with ca. 18-19 slender, separate trabeculae (about 25% of club length).
- Intermediate set without distinct trabeculae (forms fleshy membrane) but opposite ca. 16 rows of suckers (about 35% of CL).
- Distal set with slender, separate, trabeculae opposite 23 rows of suckers (about 35% of CL).
CommentsThe holotype has an unusually small aperature of the globular arm suckers.
More details of the description of the C. spoeli holotype is found here.
The type locality is the Somali Basin in the far western Indian Ocean. The only two known specimens, immature females, were captured at depths of 540-860 m and 400-600 m.