Now that you have taken an historical dive into the world of phylogeography, you should be well equiped to apply what you have learned during this WebQuest to other living organisms! There are many organisms still available in the Tree of Life database that have not yet been covered; perhaps you have been inspired to create your own Treehouse investigation about an organism that you encountered along the way.
As a final task, take the phylogeography quiz!
- What was significant about the Eocene Epoch?
- Coral reefs are important for three unique reasons. Name them.
- What are two possible explanations for the diversification of chameleons?
- Who was responsible for bringing many flowers to the west from China and which flower is he/she most known for?
- Define 'speciation'.
- What is significant about China with respect to the preservation of ancient fauna?
- When was the first bird presumably discovered, and from which organisms are birds thought to have descended?
Information on the Internet
- A Paleoceanographic Summary A history of the geological epochs, with a focus on ocean formation
- Important events in the history of life An interactive timeline illustrating important events in history
- Gondwana Greening (pdf) Illustrated, comprehensive overview of major epochs, phylogeography, biodiversity and interesting bits of information
- Chameleon Biogeography Takes an Ocean Cruise An alternative viewpoint for the origin of chameleons is presented
- A Truly Bizarre Lizard Brief description and fossil evidence for chameleons
- Chameleon News Updated regularly, this online magazine features articles on all things chameleon
- What makes a petal a petal? An introduction to flower petals and an informative source for information on their evolutionary adaptations
- Nova: Mother of Gardens Click on the hyperlink 'launch interactive' and learn about a selection of common flowers that originated in China
- In Search of the First Flower A scientific article illustrating what may be considered one of the very first flowering plants discovered to date
- The Life of Birds: Evolution A very comprehensive look at the history and evolution of birds.
- Coral Reefs of the Indo-Pacific Here you will find a selection of literature on coral reefs and their geographical distribution as well as phylogeographical considerations.
- History of Biogeography A vivid description of biogeography and its history