- Acanthopale albosetulosa C. B. Clarke
- Acanthopale azaleoides C. B. Clarke
- Acanthopale buchholzii C. B. Clarke
- Acanthopale confertiflora C. B. Clarke
- Acanothpale decempedalis C. B. Clarke
- Acanthopale laxiflora C. B. Clarke
- Acanthopale pubescens C. B. Clarke
Note: this taxon list is still under construction. It does not yet contain all known Acanthopale subgroups.
It contains species treated in the genus by Clarke (1900), and likely needs revision.
Based on phylogenetic analyses (Tripp in press), Acanthopale is sister to Ruellia s. l. with strong support. Little is known about plants in this genus, but they seem to be easily differentiated from Ruellia by their echinate (spiny-like) pollen sculpturing, seen above.
In Flora of Tropical Africa, Clarke (1900) mentioned nine species of Acanthopale (from Africa, Madagascar, and India) and treated the seven African species.
Clarke, C. B. 1900. Acanthaceae, Vol 5. In: Flora of Tropical Africa (ed. W. T. Thiselton-Dyer). Lovell Reeve & Co., London.
Tripp, E. A. Evolutionary relationships within the species-rich genus Ruellia (Acanthaceae). Systematic Botany, in press.
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Erin Tripp at
Page copyright © 2007
All Rights Reserved.
- First online 10 April 2007
- Content changed 10 April 2007
Citing this page:
Tripp, Erin. 2007. Acanthopale. Version 10 April 2007 (under construction). http://tolweb.org/Acanthopale/96975/2007.04.10 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/