- Creightonidris scambognatha
- Protalaridris armata
- Talaridris mandibularis
- Head anterior to antennnal sockets strongly narrowed from side to side
- Masticatory margins of mandibles oppose but do not overlap when mandibles fully closed
- Trigger hairs on labrum or mandible
- Specialized labral shape
- Preocular carina present
In addition, the tribe has the following apomorphies:
- Labrum with a deeply incised transverse groove across entire width, distal of hinge with clypeus
- Dorsal torulus lobe hypertrophied and strongly curved downward, plane of movement of basal scape neck very restricted
- Base of scape passes through two right-angled bends (not in the same plane)
- Helcium arises from base of a broad and deeply concave depression in anterior surface of abdominal segment III
- Tergite and sternite of abdominal segment IV transversely marginate basally, with dense, sharply incised, separated punctures
Baroni Urbani, C. and M. L. De Andrade. 1994. First description of fossil Dacetini ants with a critical analysis of the current classification of the tribe. (Amber Collection Stuttgart: Hymenoptera, Formicidae. VI: Dacetini.) Stuttgarter Beiträge zur Naturkunde Serie B (Geologie und Paläontologie) 198: 1-65.
Bolton, B. 1994. Identification Guide to the Ant Genera of the World. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Bolton, B. 1995. A New General Catalogue of the Ants of the World. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Bolton, B. 1998. Monophyly of the dacetonine tribe-group and its component tribes. Bulletin of the Natural History Museum (Entomology Series) 67: 65-78.
Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. 370 pp. Memoirs of the American Entomological Institute, Vol. 71. Gainesville, FL.
Brown, W. L., Jr., and W. W. Kempf. 1960. A world revision of the ant tribe Basicerotini. Studia Entomologica (N.S.) 3: 161-250.
Hölldobler, B. and E. O. Wilson. 1990. The Ants. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Wheeler, G. C. & Wheeler, J. 1976. Ant larvae: review and synthesis. Memoirs of the Entomological Society of Washington 74: 1-108.
Page copyright © 2004
Page: Tree of Life Basicerotini. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 22 March 2004
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 2004. Basicerotini. Version 22 March 2004 (temporary). http://tolweb.org/Basicerotini/22430/2004.03.22 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/