Geminigera | Plagioselmis | TeleaulaxKerstin Hoef-Emden and John M. Archibald
- Geminigera cryophila
- Plagioselmis prolonga
- Teleaulax (non-monophyletic)
- Teleaulax acuta
- Teleaulax merimbula
- Geminigera described by Hill; type species Geminigera cryophila (marine; Hill 1991).
- Plagioselmis described by Butcher; invalid taxon, no type species designated (Butcher 1967).
- Teleaulax described by Hill; type species Teleaulax acuta (marine; Hill 1991)
- Nucleomorph free in periplastidial space or embedded in nucleus
- Type of biliprotein: PE545
- Probably dimorphic
- Light microscopy: red to bright brown cryptophytes, predominantly marine, one or two plastids each with a pyrenoid
- Ultrastructure of Geminigera: one deeply bi-lobed plastid with two pyrenoids, nucleomorph embedded in nucleus, sheet-like inner periplast, surface periplast component with fibrils and scales, combination of furrow and gullet, keeled rhizostyle.
- Ultrastructure of Plagioselmis: hexagonal plates (IPC), antapical tail without plates, furrow only (Novarino et al. 1994)
- Ultrastructure of Teleaulax: sheet-like inner periplast component, fibrillar surface periplast component, furrow only, keeled rhizostyle
- Marine or freshwater
Similar to Cryptomonas and the Rhodomonas/Rhinomonas/Storeatula genus complex dimorphism seems to be present in this group (Figure 1; Deane et al. 2002).
Deane JA, Hill DRA, Brett SJ, McFadden GI (2002) Cryptomonad evolution: Nuclear 18S rDNA phylogeny versus cell morphology and pigmentation. J. Phycol. 38: 1236-1244
Butcher RW (1967) An Introductory Account of the Smaller Algae of British Coastal Waters. Part IV: Cryptophyceae. Fishery Investigations, Series IV. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food, Her Majesty's Stationary Office, London
Hill DRA (1991a) A revised circumscription of Cryptomonas (Cryptophyceae) based on examination of Australian strains. Phycologia 30: 170-188
Novarino G, Lucas IAN, Morrall S (1994) Observations on the genus Plagioselmis (Cryptophyceae). Cryptogam. Algol. 15: 87-107
Shalchian-Tabrizi K, Bråte J, Logares R, Klaveness D, Berney C, Jakobsen KS (2008) Diversification of unicellular eukaryotes: cryptomonad colonizations of marine and fresh waters inferred from revised 18S rRNA phylogeny. Environ. Microbiol. 10: 2635-2644
This page is being developed as part of the Tree of Life Web Project Protist Diversity Workshop, co-sponsored by the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) program in Integrated Microbial Biodiversity and the Tula Foundation.
Universität zu Köln, Köln, Germany
John M. Archibald
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Kerstin Hoef-Emden at and John M. Archibald at
Page: Tree of Life Geminigera | Plagioselmis | Teleaulax. Authored by Kerstin Hoef-Emden and John M. Archibald. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 14 September 2008
- Content changed 02 April 2010
Citing this page:
Hoef-Emden, Kerstin and John M. Archibald. 2010. Geminigera | Plagioselmis | Teleaulax. Version 02 April 2010 (under construction). http://tolweb.org/Geminigera_%7C_Plagioselmis_%7C_Teleaulax/128541/2010.04.02 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/