Neoteuthis thieleiMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
This redescription is based on a single, well preserved squid from the North Pacific taken north of the main Hawaii Archipelago. We have, however, examined several specimens from the North Atlantic and South Atlantic that exhibit no basic differences.
Brief diagnosis:A neoteuthid ...
- with long clubs (60% of ML) and long fins (70% of ML).
- with proximal club locking-apparatus restricted to manus.
- with proximal manal suckers circular in shape.
- Arm suckers with ca 15 broad, truncate teeth on distal 1/2-2/3 of inner ring. Dentition similar on all arms.
- Club long, 59-63% of ML.
- Proximal-manus occupies 75-80% of club length.
- Suckers of proximal-manus extremely small and numerous.
- Locking apparatus present only along dorsal border of proximal-manus (see arrows in photograph to the right).
- Dactylus with 4 series of suckers to tip. Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Top - Oral view of tentacular club of N. thielei, 83 mm ML . Drawing from Young (1972). Bottom - Oblique view of portion of proximal-manus of N. thielei, 100 mm ML. Arrows point to suckers of proximal locking apparatus. Photograph by R. Young.
- Small suckers of club proximal-manus with toothed inner rings and inward projecting pegs on outer rings.
- Large suckers of club distal-manus with numerous long, pointed teeth around entire margin of inner ring.
- Fins long, 70% of ML (see title illustration).
CommentsAdditional features of the description can be found here.
Type locality: 32°08'S, 08°28'W, South Atlantic, 0-1000 m depth.
The North Pacific specimen came from 28°18.9'N, 154°37.5'W (north of the Hawaiian Islands) from the R/V T. Washington with an IKMT that fished mostly with 3000 mwo. (South Tow 13, Station no. 6- tow 35. Scripps Inst. Ocy.)
Naef, A. 1921-23. Cephalopoda. Fauna e Flora de Golfo di Napoli. Monograph, no. 35, 863 pp.
Naef, A. 1921. Das System der Dibranchiaten Cephalopoden und die Mediterranean Arten derselben. Mitteilungen aus der Zoologischen Station Zu Neapel, 22: 527-542.
Thiele, J. 1920. Die Cephalopodsn der deutschen Sudpolar-Expedition 1901-1903. Deutsche Sudpolar-Expedition 1901-1903, 16(8): 433-465.
Page copyright © 2016 and
Page: Tree of Life Neoteuthis Authored by . Neoteuthis thielei . Michael Vecchione and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Richard E. Young. 2003. Neoteuthis http://tolweb.org/Neoteuthis_thielei/19926/2003.01.01 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Neoteuthis thielei . Version 01 January 2003 (under construction).