- Picumnus (Speckled Piculet and relatives)
- Jynx (Wrynecks)
- Sasia (African Piculet and relatives)
- Nesoctites micromegas (Antillean Piculet)
- Leuconerpes candidus (White Woodpecker)
- Melanerpes (Lewis's Woodpecker and relatives)
- Sphyrapicus (Sapsuckers)
- Xiphidiopicus percussus (Cuban Green Woodpecker)
- Campethera (Fine-spotted Woodpecker amd relatives)
- Geocolaptes olivaceus (Ground Woodpecker)
- Dendropicos (Little Grey Woodpecker and relatives)
- Dendrocopos (Rufous-bellied Woodpecker and relatives)
- Picoides (Brown-backed Woodpecker and relatives)
- Veniliornis (Scarlet-backed Woodpecker and relatives)
- Piculus (Rufous-winged Woodpecker and relatives)
- Chrysoptilus (Black-necked Woodpecker and relatives)
- Colaptes (Flickers)
- Celeus (Rufous Woodpecker and relatives)
- Dryocopus (Helmeted Woodpecker and relatives)
- Campephilus (Powerful Woodpecker and relatives)
- Picus (Banded Woodpecker and relatives)
- Dinopium (Olive-backed Woodpecker and relatives)
- Chrysocolaptes (Greater Goldenback and White-naped Woodpecker)
- Gecinulus (Pale-headed Woodpecker and Bamboo Woodpecker)
- Sapheopipo noguchii (Okinawa Woodpecker)
- Blythipicus (Maroon Woodpecker)
- Reinwardtipicus validus (Orange-backed Woodpecker)
- Meiglyptes (Buff-rumped Woodpecker and relatives)
- Hemicircus (Grey-and-buff Woodpecker and Heart-spotted Woodpecker)
- Mulleripicus (Ashy Woodpecker and relatives)
Benz, B. W., M. B. Robbins, and A. T. Peterson. 2006. Evolutionary history of woodpeckers and allies (Aves: Picidae): Placing key taxa on the phylogenetic tree. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 40:389–399.
Fuchs, J., J. I. Ohlson, P. G. P. Ericson, and E. Pasquet. 2006. Molecular phylogeny and biogeographic history of the piculets (Piciformes: Picumninae). Journal of Avian Biology 37(5):487–496.
Fuchs, J., J. I. Ohlson, P. G. P. Ericson, and E. Pasquet. 2007. Synchronous intercontinental splits between assemblages of woodpeckers suggested by molecular data. Zoologica Scripta 36(1):11-25.
Fuchs, J., J.-M. Pons, P.G.P. Ericson, C. Bonillo, A. Couloux, E. Pasquet. 2008. Molecular support for a rapid cladogenesis of the woodpecker clade Malarpicini, with further insights into the genus Picus (Piciformes: Picinae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 48(1):34-46.
Laybourne, R. C., D. W. Deedrick, and F. M. Hueber. 1994. Feather in amber is earliest New World fossil of Picidae. Wilson Bull. 106:18–25.
Overton, L. C. and D. D. Rhoads. 2006. Molecular phylogenetic relationships of Xiphidiopicus percussus, Melanerpes, and Sphyrapicus (Aves : Picidae) based on cytochrome b sequence. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 41(2):288-294.
Short, L. L. 1982. Woodpeckers of the World. Delaware Museum of Natural History, Greenville, Delaware.
Short, L. L. 1988. Picidae, woodpeckers, piculets and wrynecks. In: Birds of Africa. Vol. III. Fry, C.H., Keith, S. and Urban, C.K., eds. Academic Press, London.
Styring, A. R. and M. Z. bin Hussin. 2004. Foraging ecology of woodpeckers in lowland Malaysian rain forests. Journal of Tropical Ecology 20:487–494.
Webb, D.M. and W.S. Moore. 2005. A phylogenetic analysis of woodpeckers and their allies using 12S, cyt b, and COI nucleotide sequences (class Aves; order Piciformes). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 36:233–248.
Winkler, H. and D. A. Christie. 2002. Family Picidae (Woodpeckers). Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 7. Jacamars to Woodpeckers. BirdLife International and Lynx Editions, Cambridge, UK and Barcelona.
Winkler, H., D. Christie, and D. Nurney. 1995. Woodpeckers: A Guide to the Woodpeckers of the World. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
Winkler, H., N. Kotaka, A. Gamauf, F. Nittinger, and E. Haring. 2005. On the phylogenetic position of the Okinawa woodpecker (Sapheopipo noguchii). Journal of Ornithology 146:103–110.
Page copyright © 2008
Page: Tree of Life Picidae. Woodpeckers. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 27 June 2008
- Content changed 27 June 2008
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 2008. Picidae. Woodpeckers. Version 27 June 2008 (temporary). http://tolweb.org/Picidae/26423/2008.06.27 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/