BrochisRoberto E. Reis
- Brochis britskii
- Brochis multiradiatus
- Brochis splendens
Type-species: Brochis coeruleus Cope, 1872 (=B. splendens).
See the Complete Catalogue for authorships, synonyms, type-localities, and references.
The genus Brochis is diagnosed by a reduced inner expansion of the second infraorbital bone; and by having 10-18 branched rays in the dorsal fin. This genus can be further distinguished from other callichthyids by the presence of small lateral cornua on the anterior tip of the mesethmoid.
Brochis multiradiatus is apparently widely distributed in the Amazon basin, while Brochis britskii is found in the rio Paraguay system. Brochis splendens appears to dwell both in the Amazon and the Paraguay drainages.
Key to the Species of Brochis
(Modified from Nijssen & IsbrŁcker, 1983)
- 1a. Dorsal fin with 10-12 branched rays ....Brochis splendens
- 1b. Dorsal fin with 15-18 branched rays .....2
- 2a. Head not, or incompletely, covered ventrally by a large shield; length of bony orbit 4.3-4.8 in head length; snout long, acute, 1.6 (rarely 1.7) in head length .....Brochis multiradiatus
- 2b. Head covered ventrally by a large shield reaching beyond the tip of the mental barbels; length of bony orbit 3.9-4.2 in head length; snout short, rounded, 1.8-1.9 (rarely 1.7 or 2.0) in head length .....Brochis britskii
About This Page
Roberto E. Reis
Museu de CiÍncias e Tecnologia da PUCRS, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Page copyright © 1996 Roberto E. Reis
Page: Tree of Life Brochis Authored by . Roberto E. Reis. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 29 April 1996
- Content changed 29 April 1996
Citing this page:
Reis, Roberto E. 1996. Brochis http://tolweb.org/Brochis/15345/1996.04.29 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 29 April 1996 (under construction).