Building for Classrooms
What Teachers and Students Can Do with Treehouse Building
Classroom Project Portfolios
- City High School Ecobottle Investigations
- City High School 9th graders in Tucson, Arizona built ecobottles to explore ecosystems on a small scale.
- Havergal College Student Treehouses
- Grade 11 Biology students at Havergal College, a secondary school for girls in Ontario, Canada, created investigation, story, art and culture, and game treehouses on organisms such as watermelon snow, black mambas, pacific treefrogs and more!
Teacher Resource Treehouses
- Marine Discovery: Exploring Marine Life
- Watch a slide show of marine life in México and movies of students in the lab. Includes a teacher's guide. Aligned with AZ Standards.
- The Life as a Lizard Unit Treehouse
- An overview of lizard biology culminating in the "Life as a Lizard" role playing game. Contains lessons with science standards, glossary words, information, internet and multimedia resources, and more!
- Making 3-D Models of the Tree of Life
- Create 3-D models of the Tree of Life to learn about the genetic connections between Life on Earth. Make models with common materials, use templates for "leaves" and get examples of trees to build.
Join Tree of Life contributors from around the globe to create an open access digital library about biodiversity and the evolutionary history of organisms. Treehouse builders are learners, teachers, scientists and science enthusiasts who contribute treehouses (web pages and media about organisms) to the ToL.
- Build Teacher Resources for Learners
- Learn about the types of teacher resources you can create and/or post online for learners: Lessons, Activities, Projects, General, Portfolios and WebQuests.
- Start Class Treehouse Building Projects: How to Register and Manage Student Projects
- Learn how to begin and manage classroom treehouse projects where your students can create treehouses individually or in groups. Once you register a project your students will need to follow the Instructions for Classroom Builder (Student) Login. Students and teachers will use Web-based publishing tools for building and managing treehouses.
- Preview How to Register Your Class for Treehouse Building
- Teachers who are registered ToL contributors can register their classrooms for group and whole class projects.
- Classroom Project Manager (login required)
- Use the Classroom Project Mananger to easily view, edit and add comments to your students' treehouses as well as manage your classroom projects,
- Treehouse Building Lessons | Building Steps
- Treehouse Building and Education Standards
- View the National Technology Education Standards, National Standards for Science as Inquiry, Arizona State Science Education Standards for High School and the treehouse building activities that meet these standards.
- Basic Treehouse Project Guidelines | Treehouse Design and Content
- The Basic Treehouse Project guidelines go through the expected content for a basic treehouse project. The guidelines follow the Treehouse Editor's steps for building a treehouse.
- Basic Treehouse Project Assessment Rubric
- The categories listed in the treehouse project assessment rubric reflect the major treehouse content areas, as well as some additional categories for judging treehouse quality.
- Builders Toolkit
- Related Links and Resources
- View our featured resources as well as links to sites on biodiversity, natural history, evolution, bioscience education and more.